Fourteen



Look - an album released in 2007 that I actually listened to!

Pretty much everyone I know wrote off Sky Blue Sky as shitty Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, and the fact that they licensed half the record to Volkswagen for commercials didn't really help that argument. I assure you there's something more there. I'm certainly a fan of noise, and love a good old fashioned "Wilco Freakout"[tm], and there was none of that to be found on this record - and that's OK.

I have to give props to the Wilco summer tour to helping me out with this one too. I don't think I would have given this record the chance I did if I hadn't seen the material live. I saw them twice [Northampton, Boston] in one week back in June, and spent a good chunk of that week listening to the record over and over again.

What makes me mad about Wilco? I sold my copy of SBS after burning it, and you need the disc to get bonus tracks they keep releasing online. Plus, they are playing five nights in Chicago with the intent of playing every song they ever recorded, and they should be doing that in Boston instead.

The Thanks I Get is one of those bonus tracks - this is the solo version from Jeff Tweedy's Sunken Treasure DVD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment