Talking shit about a pretty sunset

Confetti!

Polyphonic Confetti


So Tuesday night was the big cult-rock show at Avalon. Polyphonic Spree played, and someone named Jesca Hoop opened [she was a bit much].

Polyphonic Spree started around 9ish - there was a pretty dramatic entrance to a lot of pre-recorded music that went on for like 15 minutes. And then.

If you are at a concert that opens with confetti guns, you are only at the best concert ever.

So I'm not all familiar with Polyphonic Spree - I know there are like a million members in the band [actual number in Boston: I counted 23]. I know they play simple anthemic chant-like sing along pop songs. I know they like uniforms.

Polyphonic Spree


About 5 seconds into their set I was totally ready to drink the Kool-Aid. Sign me up. If these cats are all just high on sun and air, uniforms and choreography SIGN ME UP. For the next 2 hours I clapped, I waved my hands, I sang along. I thought about joining a cult - but you know? I'd be that cult member - the one all the others talked about. "She don't want to get out of bed and do choreography, AGAIN". Or - "Her uniform all wrinkled, don't she know how to iron?" In my head, it was a cult of drag queens, which is why they called me "she".

Tim DeLaughter
Tim DeLaughter, our leader. Or leadr, in Web 2.0 speak


But you know what the best part of the show was? Even better than confetti guns? All my friends. For whatever reason, the planets and stars aligned and I wound up at this show in the middle of seven good friends. We staked our claim on space and a good time was had by all.

For the encore, almost as long as the main set, the robes came out:

Polyphonic Spree


And the high point of the encore, the show? Lithium. For reals - and I'm so not a Nirvana fan, but how can you not jump up and down sing along to this with the people in robes?

I'm so lonely but thats okay, I shaved my head ...
And I'm not sad


It made me so happy. If I don't come back from Chicago this August, it's because I'm in a robe selling flowers at O'Hare. Bring hoverbikes.

1 Comment:

  1. Stacie Slotnick said...
    See you at the airport.

Post a Comment