They gave her a mirror so she could talk to a face

So one of those Cal Robbins benefit things has finally hit Boston. Actually, Saturday's line up is pretty amazing.

  • I saw Drew O'Doherty last winter open for Mark Eitzel, bought the record, and he's a second coming of Richard Buckner with better hair.
  • And The Secret Stars? I don't claim to know their deal, but I thought they had broken up [not even a Wiki].
  • I'm pretty sure Mark Robinson [Unrest] lives around here now, and doesn't play out nearly as much as he should.
  • Headlining is Ida, who I haven't seen in ages.

So all should be perfect, right?

Does anyone else think it's weird that we're raising money for an individual and not a cause? It's been freaking me out for months now. I mean, I work with someone who's kid is also affected by this disease, and no indie bands are reuniting and putting compilations together to give her money to help pay for everything insurance doesn't cover. OK!OK! I'm trying not to be bitter, I'm glad SMA awareness has been raised among the indie kids, I'm trying to look forward to a larger picture where these events start benefiting the whole instead of the individual.

That said, I'm totally going. I'm leaving my attitude at home that evening. I'm gonna get sadcore cause it's a totally righteous bill.

[that's not about you Cal, it's about me]

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Keith,

    First of all, thanks for getting the word out about the Callum ROBBINS benefit shows that Geoff FARINA is putting together. As a brief programming note, I think there might still be a chance that the Friday and Saturday night line-ups will ultimately end up being switched. Stay tuned to the PA's Lounge site for confirmation of the final line-up.

    Secondly, I'd like to respond to your inquiry "does anyone else think it's weird that we're raising money for an individual and not a cause?"

    Personally, I don't think there's anything weird about trying to help out our friends' family. That's what all of these fundraising efforts are aimed at. That these efforts have been primarily based around presenting benefit concerts and releasing compilation records reflects the fact that the community that has rallied around Callum is obviously composed of musicians. Clearly, that is because we know his parents J. ROBBINS & Janet MORGAN through the lives we've all lead playing music. In a sense, we're all co-workers.

    Your anecdote regarding your own co-worker whose child also has Spinal Muscular Atrophy makes for an excellent illustration of what we're trying to do for Cal. Perhaps you and your fellow co-workers can be similarly inspired to take it upon yourselves to try helping out her family as well. Since you're a part of her community, I'm sure you folks could do an excellent job trying to support her in a variety of creative ways (which may or may not happen to include rock shows or benefit records)! And if you've already held fundraising events for her in the past, perhaps these shows for Cal in July can act as a reminder that it might be a good time to organize another benefit for her and her child.

    Thanks again for spreading the word about these shows and for the opportunity to reply to your question. I hope this finds you well.

    All the best,

    Drew O'DOHERTY

Post a Comment